Significant history of this building began in 1776, when the Empress Maria Theresa founded the diocese in Rožňava and established a Roman Catholic diocese there. The residence was created by joining two buildings, the former Jesuit monastery and the adjacent burgher´s house. Upon connection, the building received a unified classicist facade. The residence is located on the northern side of the square. You can find the location of this monument on the map on the subpage Monuments.
In the 19th century, the building was extended (towards Čučmianska Street). The complex was closed from the west and north by a new building at the end of the 20th century. There is a garden in the yard. On the balcony of the bishop’s residence there is a rococo bishop’s coat of arms. On the facade of the main facade there is an attic with an inscription and the date. The plaque on the diocese building commemorates the important day of Rožňava – September 13, 2003 – when the Pope John Paul II visited it as the first pope.