The construction of the Evangelical Church was permitted by a tolerance patent of King Joseph II in 1783. The Evangelicals were able to build their brick church. This had to be located outside the city center in an enclosed space without a direct access from the street.
It could not be clearly visible in the silhouette of the city and could not have bells or a tower. Despite its limitations, this Lutheran church has become one of the city’s landmarks, even without a tower. Today it is one of the most valuable cultural monuments of Gemer and is one of the most important churches of the Evangelical Church in Slovakia. In the magnificent space of the church, the constructor Ján Mayer managed to achieve excellent acoustics, which can be fully utilized by a historical organ. The organ from 1785 by master Ján Gertner is one of the most valuable monuments of its kind in Gemer.
The church is located on the Šafárikova Street. You can find the location of this monument on the map on the subpage Monuments.